Castle Gardens is the most historically significant open space in Lisburn and was once the site of Lisburn Castle, a 17th century fortified manor house, built by the Conway family, the landlords of Lisburn. Upon the death of the last landlord, Sir Richard Wallace, and later his wife, Lady Wallace, the Gardens were gifted to the people of Lisburn by Lady Wallaceâ€™s heir, Sir John Murray Scott in 1903.
The upper 19th century gardens and the 17th century terraces have recently been restored by Lisburn City Council, with grant aid from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
There is a full education programme for schools and also seasonal and community events being held throughout the year. Castle Gardens tours and workshops are free but must be booked in advance (minimum numbers apply). Check the local press for details.
All bookings and enquiries should be made to: Bookings, Irish Linen Centre and Lisburn Museum, Market Square, Lisburn, BT28 1AG, or telephone (028) 9266 3377. More information on Castle Gardens is available at www.castlegardenslisburn.com.
Full disabled access with street parking nearby and only a short walk from rail and bus stations. Public toilets including disabled toilet on site. Welcome point with displays outlining the history of the Gardens and the recent restoration project. There is a World War II Air Raid shelter converted into an education centre, for school and community use.